Home | Khagrachhari District
Khagrachhari in Bangladesh Map
Khagrachhari (খাগড়াছড়ি is a district in south-eastern Bangladesh. It is a part of the Chittagong Division and the Chittagong Hill Tracts. Its local name is Chengmi. Khagrachhari is also known as Phalang Htaung or the Mong Circle (of the rest of the three hill districts Rangamati is the Chakma Circle and Bandarban is the Bohmong Circle).
2749.16 square kilometers (1061.46 square miles).
Map of Khagrachhari District
Khagrachhari subdivision was turned into a district in 1983. The district of Chittagong Hill Tracts was established in 1860 under the 'Frontier Tribes Act 22 of 1860'. Following the district of Chittagong Hill Tract Regulation Act the Chittagong Hill Tract was divided into three subdivisions (included Khagracharri) in 1900. The Khagrachhari Local Government Legislative Council was formed in 1989 (in accordance with the Khagrachhari Hill Districts Council, Act 20), which, on the basis of the historic 'Chittagong Hill Tracts Peace Accord', was turned into Khagrachhari Hill District Council on 2 December, 1997. The district consists of 8 upazilas, 34 union parishads, 123 mouzas, 953 villages, one municipality, 9 wards and 61 mahallas. The Upazilas are dighinala, khagrachhari sadar, lakshmichhari, mahalchhari, manikchhari, matiranga, panchhari and ramgarh.
Dighinala Upazila, Khagrachhari Sadar Upazila, Lakshmichhari Upazila, Mahalchhari Upazila, Manikchhari Upazila, Matiranga Upazila, Panchhari Upazila, Ramgarh Upazila
The Chittagong Hill Tracts was under the reign of the Tripura State, the Arakans and the Sultans in different times before it came under the control of the British East India Company in 1760. Although the British got the authority of the Chittagong Hill Tracts in 1760, they had no authority besides collecting nominal taxes. Until 1860, two kings or chiefs governed the internal administration of this region. In 1860, another 'circle' was formed in present Khagrachhari district, inhabited by the Tripura population. The chief or the Raja of this circle was selected from the minority Marma population. The 'circle' was named after the Tripura dialect the 'Mun Circle', but later, the 'Mun dialect', was changed and renamed as 'Mong Circle'. In 1900 the British offered independent status to Chittagong Hill Tracts recognising the culture and language of the hill tracts population. But during the Pakistan period this status was abolished, which created anger among the hill population. Moreover, due to the construction of the Kaptai dam in 1960, thousands of people became homeless and refugee. At this perspective the hill population revolted claiming autonomy. Through the Chittagong Hill Tracts peace Accord on 2 December 1997 this problem was resolved.
Rajbari of the Mong Circle and Dighi (large pond) of Dighinala (excavated by Gobindo Manikko exiled king of Tripura).
Present: Daily Aranno Barta, Weekly Parboti.
Chingri, Maini, Feni and Halda; lake Mataipukhiri (Debotar pukur).
10th Parliament Member(s)
Kujendra Lal Tripura
Bangladesh Awami League
Ramghar Head Office
Compiled from data collected from Wikipedia.org, Banglapedia.org, Amardesh.com and Bangladesh Government sites.